Nina W. Webb obituary photo
In Memory of

Nina W. Webb

January 12, 1934 - April 26, 2017


Nina Webb, 83, of Orlando, FL passed on April 26, 2017 at her home.

She was born in Miami, FL and moved to Brevard County in 1962 then moved to Orlando in 2014, where she worked for the Brevard County Schools, teaching emotionally disabled children in primary grades for 15 years, then retiring.

Nina is survived by her sons, Alan Webb, and his wife, Patricia, Steve Webb and his wife Debbie, and daughter, Wendy Austin and her husband Kelly; her grand children, Adam Webb, Karen Webb, Caroline Austin, James Austin, Katie Austin and...

Nina Webb, 83, of Orlando, FL passed on April 26, 2017 at her home.

She was born in Miami, FL and moved to Brevard County in 1962 then moved to Orlando in 2014, where she worked for the Brevard County Schools, teaching emotionally disabled children in primary grades for 15 years, then retiring.

Nina is survived by her sons, Alan Webb, and his wife, Patricia, Steve Webb and his wife Debbie, and daughter, Wendy Austin and her husband Kelly; her grand children, Adam Webb, Karen Webb, Caroline Austin, James Austin, Katie Austin and great grandchildren, Adalee Webb and Cambree Webb.

A Memorial Service will be held on Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 12:00pm at the Life Event Center of Florida Memorial, 5950 South Us Highway 1, Rockledge, FL.

Donations in lieu of Flowers, in memory of Nina may be made to the Florida FIRST Robotics Education Foundation (FFREF) 3609 S. Banana River Blvd.
# C308 Cocoa Beach, Florida 32931.


Leaving a Legacy is something my parents did whether they set out to or not. Its hard to talk about my mom without mentioning my dad. They were in the same home room all through high school, eloped after dads first year of college and were a united front for the 62 years they were married.
That bond was unshakable even when my dad would be sent TDY. They set the example of what a partnership should look like. That legacy is something that my brothers and I have managed to keep going and I hope we have learned how to leave that legacy for our children as well.

I started looking through photos to get an idea of things to share, and one thing I noticed was that she was always in motion.
My mom spent most of her early married life being a housewife, doing her part to help with the space race, following my dad from state to state building America's space program.
She played bridge, took cake decorating classes and worked with the other neighborhood ladies to organize beach days and parties. She was never content to just sit at home, cooking dinner and washing clothes.

She started volunteering on the PTA at Surfside and then became Brevard County PTA President and, despite fainting at the sight of blood, she became a school nurse, or Gray Lady as they were called at the high school.
She was Cub Scout Pack mom for my brothers and then became a Girl Scout leader for a Cadette troop that didn't have one, even though I was only a Brownie.
She spent countless evenings working the concession stand at the little league field, and then in the bleachers at swim meets, band concerts and wrestling matches.
Our living room became a workshop as she spent hours sewing dance recital costumes, not just mine, but one for everyone in my classes. The smell of Old English wood polish puts me right back at Holy Apostles where she was on the altar guild and we would polish all the wood on Wednesdays. She was always bouncing from one place to another.

As I was starting Junior High, she was going back to college. Its tough to complain about homework when your mom has more than you do, and gets better grades as well.
She graduated in 1978 with her BS in Education with almost straight A's She got a B in PE, she was not happy about it.
She began teaching Emotionally Handicapped students in grades 1-6. She was the teacher for most of these kids for the entire time they were in elementary.
She did amazing things with these students, most of whom had parents that weren't all that interested.
I was her "room Mom" as soon as I turned 18 because none of her parents volunteered, I even chaperoned a few field trips.
This legacy was passed on to her Granddaughter Caroline, who now teaches K-2 Autistic kids. She and mom would bond every Tuesday over stories of what the kiddos did that week.

After she left special ed she still taught primary grades while getting her Masters and her PHD.
She was passionate about science and with her students she designed and planted a butterfly garden at school. Every year after, all the 4th graders would get caterpillars and watch them change into chrysalis and then butterflies, as far as I know they still do it.
She also designed the butterfly garden at the Brevard Zoo. Science was her thing. I think if she had been born 20 years later she would have studied Physics and figured out what Dark Matter is.

She was incredibly creative. Whatever the newest craft craze was she tried it.
We had hooked rugs, macrame plant holders, tie dyed shirts and crochet blankets. Painting was always her best love and worst nightmare.
She specialized in watercolors and I learned that she started taking classes with her friend Benetta before I was even born and kept taking them long after she retired.
She painted until she couldn't hold the brush steady because the Parkinson's made her hands shake.
She was a perfectionist so only the very best of the best was allowed to be shown. One of my favorites of her work she swore she never finished.
This legacy was passed down to her granddaughter Karen, the most creative of her Grands. She is an animator and the two of them shared their mutual passion over art discussions and wandering museums.

Mom loved nature, she could name every plant and bird I ever came across. She spent hours tending her orchids and planting stuff in the ground.
She helped the local Audubon Society do a bird count for several years, she and daddy with their binoculars tromping through the brush keeping track of every bird they could find. There was always a bird feeder close to her windows at the grove and the cabin.
Painted buntings in Florida and hummingbirds in Georgia. For the majority of her life she enjoyed hiking through the forest and has done parts of the Appalachian Trail. I found photos of the first time she took her grandson Adam up to the top of Brass Town Bald, the highest point in Ga.
I see a lot of her in Adam whenever he is in the woods. He is sharing that legacy now with his own girls. They go hiking and waterfall hunting in the mountains just like he did when he was little. I know that Adam will instill a love of nature in Adalee and Cambree, like mom did for him.

At some point in the 80s my parents acquired an airplane and Dad decided to get his pilots license.
Mom, was afraid of heights. But to conquer her fear she choose to earn her pilot's license as well.
Their feet hardly touched the ground after that. When mom retired she and dad travelled all over the world. The Shane's were their cruise buddies and they crossed the Pacific a few times with them going to Bora Bora, Pago Pago and all the other islands islands, winning the ships trivia contests every time.
They went to Spain and taught conversational English to Spanish executives. They went to Alaska on a ship, across Canada on a train and to Paris for the Air Show.
They went to Europe with my dads cousins Hannah and Sarah Beth and her husband Gerald. Hearing the stories of the misadventures cracks me up. Hannah said they saw a lot of flowers because mom and Sarah always found them.
They had a big trip to Africa in the works when dad started failing, so like the troupers they were they made reservations for the entire family at Animal Kingdom lodge so we could have one last family vacation in "Africa".
The wanderlust is strongest in Katie, the youngest of the grands, and the one most likely to end up flying the sky as my parents did.

Both of our parents lived lives of service and showed us how important it was to give back to your community.
Along with Birding, Scouts and PTA, they both worked tirelessly for the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Mom was the President of the ASME Auxiliary.
She was focused on scholarships for Engineering students and pushed to fund more for FIRSTers. I accompanied her to a meeting once, she sent me up to her hotel room for something and when I came back I somehow ended up as part of the committee.

About 20 years ago my dad was asked to be a judge at this new robotics thing at the cape, he had just had hip surgery and at the last minute realized he wouldn't be able to serve.
He told the judge advisor my wife is a Science teacher, can she fill in for me? And thus began our family's involvement with FIRST.
Mom and Dad were judges at the then Florida Regional and World Championships for years. At some point mom took over as Ambassador Coordinator for the Regional.
She was Pit Admin at the South Florida Regional for a time and when all that got to much she worked the safety glasses table at both events. She loved all that FIRST was, and took her jobs very seriously.
One year she was working the Curie field at Champs and tried to kick Will I Am off the field when he was working the crowd.
She didn't know who he was but he was setting the field behind. I managed to grab her before she used her teacher voice on him.
To mom FIRST had everything students needed to be successful in life. She believed in what it teaches with every fiber of her being.
When we started Exploding Bacon mom and dad were our biggest supporters. Mom would paint her hair Orange and Green and scream Oink Oink Boom till she was horse. She said the worst thing about judging was being in the judging room where she had to be neutral and keep her mouth shut and not be able to brag about all the good stuff the team did.
This legacy lives on in James, the youngest Grandson. He started as a student, but now mentors a team in Virginia (and still mentors Bacon too).
Mom loved all the young people she got to be around, she loved hanging out with them and watching them grow and develop into the amazing adults they have become. Most of them adopted her too. She was everyone's Noni and I know she planted a little bit of her legacy in every one of them.

After the three strokes I was afraid she was done moving. Not mom!
She worked really hard to get walking again. The big saying was "will walk for chocolate". She never gave up.
Even in a wheelchair we managed to take another trip to the cabin and then fly out to see Steve for his birthday. I'm so glad we did.
Watching her out in the boat with the wind going through her hair, sitting between her sons was priceless. When she couldn't speak anymore she had a way of telling us what she wanted just by her facial expressions.
She had the best caregivers in the world and I can't thank them enough for what they did. I know she left a little bit of herself with them as well and they will always be family too.

Nina never stopped moving, and she isn't stopping now. The only thing that's changed is that we're moving for her, with her. Taking up the legacy she left behind and pushing it a bit further, and a bit higher, and a bit beyond what can be accomplished in one lifetime, even one as packed and active as hers.